Friday, June 20, 2008

VCMI Update

So, it's already Friday! The days have been busy and wonderful.
It has been an amazing experience so far.
I've made some great new friends - musically as well as people-y.
A lot of the faculty here have talked about pivot points, or defining moments when they understood their direction as musicians... I haven't quite had that, but things have reminded me of some of my passions.
Vancouver is still spectacular. I met with some relatives last night and I will be meeting with a wonderful high-school friend tomorrow night.

I had been worried that this might be more of a jazz thing than I was wanting, but I've discovered that free improv is the kind of thing that is outside of both classical and jazz worlds. Most of the people here come from one of those worlds, but neither of those really exist within this context. I think this is something that I definitely want to get more involved with.

The weather, in my opinion, has been perfect. Not too warm, not too cold and though it has rained a few times, I've never been caught out in the rain.
As I said, the days have been long. Every day starts a little bit earlier, and I arrive a little closer to start time... Starting at about 9:30am, we go until 10pm and then there's a small group of us that have been going out for drinks every night.

Ok, I'll write some more detailed thoughts when I get home, but I wanted to let everyone know that things are going very well out here in beautiful Vancouver!

No comments: