Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Nothing says happy beginning of September like the remnants of one's body devouring itself due to lack of insulin.
It's been years since I've had ketones, and tonight I had trace amounts.
I fasted all morning and part of the afternoon then had some late lunch. The sugars all day were around 11-13mmol, so while they were high, I at least know that the basal rate is pretty close.
After lunch, I changed the infusion site.
At dinner, my sugars had gone up a bit, so I took a correction with my dinner. Low GI value and the correction taken with it should have seen my sugars actually drop down before coming back up and levelling off after dinner, but they never went down at all. When I tested for, and found even just trace amounts of ketones, I knew it was time to yank the site and try a new one.
I took a correction by insulin pen and I'll check to see that worked in a little while.

I'm trying to stay positive about pumping, I really am. I will continue to try, but this is wearing me thin- not literally of course, haha.
Nevertheless, I'm not a quitter. Between that and my love of spite, I will stick with this damned pump for a while yet.

No comments: