Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Happy Belated Turkey Day!

This weekend was great. I went to my uncle's house just a few hours away and had a wonderful time. I went to a demolition derby - my first time to anything of the sort. It was amazing - I try to be all fancy and stuff, but the violence and reckless damage is just far to entertaining to ignore!
Thanksgiving dinner was very nice and filling. I got to meet my second cousins (ages 4 and 6) for the first time ever, their mother (my cousin) for the second time ever, and my other cousin for the third time. It's terrible, but living in different provinces seems to have been enough to keep the family from getting to know one another. I hope to be able to change that from here on in.
Today has been an amazingly productive day in terms of creativity. I had found the perfect poem to fit into the Fall Song Cycle and now it is all coming together, at least in the preparatory planning stage. I am still waiting for the copyright permissions on the third poem and then I'll be able to just jump into that one without reservations, but for now I am timidly avoiding it. Anyway, even if I have to find a different poem to replace that one, I know how the cycle will develop and generally how it will work itself out.
I'm now going to work a little bit on some rhythm study for my piano trio piece. That's what my teacher wants me to focus on so I will take his lead and put as much of my resources into it as I can. I realize that my use of rhythm up to now has been primarily mathematical - which can be fine, but I haven't had any reasons for doing so. In seminar/lectures, my prof has spoken a lot about the rhythm of speech and how it is very varied and always interesting. Tonight I shall explore precisely that.

No comments: