Saturday, October 20, 2007

I think I finished the soundtrack for the dance film I'm working on. I sent it to the film director/producer/editor and I'm just waiting on his feedback.
I've learned a fair bit about audio editing from the process, and I'm quite happy with how it has turned out. The first version I did involved the piano, accordion and some extended accordion technique, which ended up just sounding like heavy breathing. Through exploring some of digital effects available through audio editing, I ended up making a decision to use the piano as the only original sound source.
I won't go as far as to say that I've become a master electroacoustimusician, but I'm on my way. I was able to get everything to do what I wanted

In my electroacoustic class, we're using a program called ProTools. It has a steep learning curve so I have a fair bit to learn, but it will allow me even more tools than the program I'm currently using. All of this has gotten me thinking about some investments that I need to make within the next little while.
Basically, I need to switch to Mac. As much as I don't want to admit it, it almost comes down to a case of 'all the cool kids have it'. On top of that, and in terms of professional stuff, most of my colleagues use it, and most studios use it and my university uses it - therefore in terms of collaboration and being versatile, I need to be in that same situation. Not knowing much about keystrokes and using Macs is holding me back a little bit as I try and learn new ProTools at school. The reason why my colleagues and studios use them is because I've heard that the interface on most programs is better. Long story short, it all adds up to me switching.
When you add in the software that I'll need, this switchover will cost me approximately $3,000!
Ouch!
Anyway, this is part of me becoming a professional in my field. Nevertheless, I need to wait and make sure that I get funding for next year before I go and make such an investment, otherwise I wouldn't quite be able to afford to live...
Wow, this post has taken me hours because I've been flitting around on the internet doing absolutely nothing today. Here ends said post.

No comments: