Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Time has been flying - I've been rather busy.
Monday and Tuesday kind of whizzed by with the classes and lesson and preparation for both being rather extensive, well more just for the lesson.
My teacher's reaction was neither really here nor there, some good suggestions, but the piece is still not quite at the point where it can really be critiqued. I hadn't gotten it to the put together shape that it should be.
The energetic section that I wrote which I was excited about, and I thought it fit both piano and violin quite well, didn't quite win over my teacher. He even raised some concern about whether it was good writing for violin. I went to a violinist today and they reconfirmed that it fits the instrument, phew!
I talked to the prof organizing the workshop - I have until Friday to get my shit together, and I will need the time. I had originally thought I would get my piece ready for the lesson, get some corrections and then plug it into the notation software - things don't work that way. Not that this is a bad thing,- I feel that the piece has continued to grow. It's not like I got shot down at my lesson and had to rebuild; my lesson served me as a bump on the road to where I'm going.
The tricky thing is going to be working it up to a point at which I'll submit it and have to be ok with it at that point until the workshop. In the meantime, I will continue working on the piece - it will continue to develop and most likely will be a very different piece by the time I actually hear them play it. At the same time, what I'm presenting to them is going to be the second half so if I focus next on the first half, then maybe things won't be so out of sync.

No comments: