Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I've stepped back into being a pianist.
A small step, but a step nonetheless.

That's all I will do for now - take small steps.

A fellow composer has a piece that he wants to be performed at a concert coming up and I said I would play in it. It is for piano and double bass.
Now that I don't do piano as my mainstay, I think I'm taking the lesson that was thrown at me near the end of my undergrad - Regardless of whether you are professional or amateur, you want to sound like a professional. This is something that I never did while I was attempting to be a professional. I think that I wasn't able to give it my full attention while doing my undergrad perhaps because it was too much for me to handle. Now that I am more aware of my limitations, I think that if I take on only small amounts, I will be able to treat them with the respect and professionalism that they deserve.

While I haven't missed being the pianist I was last year and before, the other day, playing through a Beethoven Sonata, I was reminded of how I do enjoy playing piano.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've recently had the same experience with my flute. A four month hiatus has reminded me that I do enjoy playing an instrument. And what's more, I HAVE grown as a musician during my degree, and I CAN do things that I never used to be able to, and I know a lot more than I thought i did. It makes playing so worthwile.