Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I am becoming an ethical person!

I have decided that I need to become a professional in what I am doing. Therefore, I need to actually own the software that I use to make a living (or as close as I can get to making a living as a composer). However, being a professional doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to jump on paying full price on the software, especially when they have great offers that are just begging to be taken advantage of.
To just buy the full Sibelius 5 program, I would be paying 599$US. While the Canadian dollar is currently stronger than the US one, that is still a huge sum of money. At the same time, they have an offer that tries to convince users of the competition, Finale, to switch over for only 199$, or 99$ for the month of October. To save $500, all I would need to do would be to send the table of contents from the user manual of one of the accepted programs. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of a user manual, damn! Nothing on ebay, and no-one I know uses those programs. But upon closer inspection, one of the programs that they accept for the upgrade is their own Sibelius Student program - only 99$. I ordered both the upgrade and the student version so that I can register the upgrade. A total savings of nearly 400$ and I get the ethical validation I've wanted for just over $200 Canadian.
I think Apple/Mac should offer a competitive upgrade thingy for Windows users.. haha, not likely, but that would be nice.
Anyway, with this detail out of the way, there isn't anything pressing that I need to upgrade. The step up to ProTools and getting a Macbook aren't necessary; they will have to wait pending the funding situation next year. If I know for sure that I will be getting decent money next year, then I will switch to Mac. Getting ProTools is not a rush at all. For this year and next, I have the use of a great recording/audio editing studio at school. I don't need to have the hard/software for my own computer, but that is something I need to address eventually.
Mumbly mumbly, no more talking about finances, I know it's not the most interesting topic, but that was all I really had to say for tonight, so I'll sign off for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's one problem with your comment about apple to pc's. That's actually what's called a downgrade. Best bet, keep your apple or pc, wipe the OS off of it and install Linux. That truly is an upgrade. And, it will cause you to learn not to be completely computer illiterate in order to be able to use it effectively.