Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Wow, I originally planned on listening to one Sibelius Symphony today, maybe two if I had time and the inclination. Somehow I ended up listening to them all(most).
I had listened to the first one another day. I actually listened to Symphonies 2-4 this afternoon and then 5-7 tonight.
This afternoon, I actually wrote down listening notes and read about them on the Grove's Online Encyclopedia. Tonight, I just listened and tried to understand / get inspired by the music.
I made sure that I was completely open and I even tried to fall in love with this music, but it didn't really happen. I really enjoyed Symphony number 5 and 7.
My prof and the other first year Master's student recommended that I listen to them all - probably not in one day, but that's just how I did it. Now I have a real sense of what Sibelius's music is all about and I will even be able to enter into discussions of these works.

I'm worried that I've lost or temporarily misplaced the ability to be really moved by music. The symphonies today were great and there was a lot that should have caused me to weep or scream or something, but nothing. Anyway, to test it all out, I'm going to listen to Liszt's Sonata in B minor. It is one of my favorite pieces of all time, and it once caused me to get a nasty speeding ticket on the evening before my birthday a few years ago. Hopefully it will inspire some tears as I settle down for the night.
I will let you know how things work out tomorrow.

Oooh, tomorrow I am performing the Double Bass and Piano piece - I'm excited and our rehearsal went very well today, things are really starting to come together. I will also provide commentary on that tomrorow.

No comments: