Thursday, March 12, 2009

  I met today with my second reader [When writing a thesis, you have an adviser who you work closely with throughout and then a second reader who helps to bring a fresh perspective near the end].  I was actually having doubts about what I would get out of our meeting because he is not a composer.  Boy, was I wrong!
  I've been kinda down lately - stress is affecting so many areas of my life: I feel like I could just sleep all the time, my sugars are out of whack, moodiness and so on.  Someone sent me a hug emoticon yesterday and it made me so sad, because I thought about it, and I don't really have many hug friends here in London, I guess they're just not huggers.  Just thinking about it made me feel sad and lonely.
Today was the turn-around that I needed.  My meeting with the second reader went better than I could have imagined.  Every bit of feedback he gave was so insightful and helpful.  It felt like he was actually spending time on me - our meeting was just shy of an hour and a half!    We basically just walked through the piece and he asked good questions and I explained things as we went along.  During the process, he was very open minded, yet critical.  After we finished, he exclaimed that this was going to really good, then corrected himself to say that it is going to be a 'great piece'!  A few times during the process, while playing some of the things, he made noises of enjoyment and called a few of them 'awesome chords' haha!
  (I'll be honest, I haven't been getting much feedback lately, and so much of the piece has developed since I last got feedback that I was worried about how it would be received, so this was wonderful news)
   Afterwards, I went to the library, hoping to run into someone I knew, and I did - a friend I hadn't seen in a while because we're both so busy.  We checked emails beside each other and chitchatted a bit.  As I said good bye and started turning to leave, I noticed that she was doing something with her arms and torso... 
she was putting arms out for a hug
It was exactly what I needed and it totally made a perfectly awesome day even better!

No comments: