Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wow, time is just flying by.  It really felt like I just blogged yesterday, but it was almost three days ago, well at least over two.

I am SO close to having finished my thesis.  Movements 1 and 4 are COMPLETELY finished and just needing editing and some tweaking, but I would be comfortable if they were performed as they currently exist.
Movement 2 is structurally finished, but it is missing something.  It has a beginning, middle, and end, but it needs that magical thing that leads a path through all of that.
Movement 3 is getting quite close.  There are 2 'paths' that need to be finished.  I know the route and direction of those paths, but I still have to flesh them out - which is more finikky work than I had imagined.

It's frustrating that I know I am so close to being finished, but it still feels so far away.  I am giving myself the deadline of tomorrow evening to get these 'paths' finished.  Then everything will be 'structurally' finished and I can focus on editing and tying up the loose ends.  By that, I mean I need to do dynamics for lots lots lots of it...

Tomorrow, I am meeting with my pianist.  She has had the score for enough time that she will have some feedback, questions, critiques and whatever else.  Hopefully, she will be able to play even parts of sections so that I can coach and make sure things are on track.  I am excited for this, and I'm hoping it will be a good experience!

The next day, I am meeting with my second reader who will also be able to give me some helpful feedback.  He is not a composer, rather a pianist with a specialty in contemporary repertoire.  I don't know what to expect, but all of my conversations with him have been really thought provoking, so I know it will be a good experience.

No comments: