Saturday, August 12, 2006

I've stopped washing my hair

No, I'm not going for dreadlocks or anything like that. It's not even that I want dirty hair. Rather, I have stopped shampooing my hair, although I still wet it in the shower so that I don't get chunks of say,... birdnest in it. The reason is that my hair is very oily so it can get quite greasy if I don't wash it within 24hours of its previous shampooing, or even sooner. My theory is that if I let the oils build up for a while, my scalp will slow down the rate of oil production so I won't need to shampoo the oils out every day(as I have for the past many years).
Once again, this is just a theory - I'm going to try and last as long as I can before the oily hair drives me insane. But ya, I have relatively short hair at the moment; I certainly couldn't do this with longer hair. I don't think I ever want to have long hair again. Seeing some pictures of me with long hair, and I'm not a fan. I'm enjoying the plyability of my hair with the slight excess of oil though at the moment... I don't even really need gel to make it into a fauxhawk or make the front stand up.
Ok, enough about my sexy sexy hair. I've started reading again, after having given up on that over the summer. I went to bed last night reading some Shostakovich. Not exactly relaxing reading, but it was good. It actually got me riled up about the idea that music and creating music should do some good for the world. All great art should have something to do with the common themes of humanity. He also wrote about the ill of american society and the trend that the arts should entertain and nothing more. It's a little concerning that so much music currently treats entertainment as the only purpose for music. Instances he used as examples are of how Orchestra concerts lose their variety and quality when the programmes are decided by the same people who are concerned with the finances - what they present is dictated by the dollar which is influenced, nay dictated by the flippant desires of how the audience wants to be entertained. His stance is that every programme, ever concert should have something that challanges the audience/listener - it is not a bad thing for the audience even to hate a small portion of the concert....
I agree! If you go to a concert and you like everything, then how can you qualitatively compare one thing to the next... Then you become Mr.Winnipeg and you stand up to give a standing ovation at the end of every performance because everything was good, nothing was bad; but at the same time, nothing was exceptional.
I love this, reading and thinking about the thoughts and ideas of the authors, especially when they are composers and are writing about what I want to do with my life. Yippee!
Anyway, I want to hear some thoughts on the idea of music as a means of purely entertainment.... feel free to comment.

2 comments:

Jonathan Evans said...

good luck with the hair, ewwwwww

Anonymous said...

i totally agree about the standing ovation thing. i don't think every performance the WSO gives is worthy of a standing o, and yet they always get it. Which makes me selfconscious in my own performances, because when i (or WE) gets a standing O, i never know whether i deserved it or not. And i also agree with challenging the audience. If it wern't for that, musicians would surly be bored playing the same stuff all the time.

Also: i'm dissapointed that there is no picture of your hair. I'm trying to imagine it, but i just can't get there.