Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Well, I seem to be in much better spirits lately. It seems I have been having bad cases of PMS (Pissy Michael Syndrome, for those who aren't familiar) lately.
As a result, I have neglected to mention some things.
- I am really enjoying my work over the last week and a bit. It is such a contrast to what I do with musical theatre during the year. Previously I had only worked with very young kids who are pretty much only interested in the dance aspect, and they can't really sing and they are obnoxious little hellians. Well, at this camp, the kids are old enough to be there because they want to. For the most part they are reasonably musical and they are really interested in the music and lyrics. It is whole different world when we can move beyond simply trying to sing through the song. These kids pick up so quickly and they have great ears on them. Often they don't even need the sheet music, they hear the melody once and it's in them! Not to say that they're challenging melodies, but its still wonderful, it's just a matter of memorizing the words. Plus, the music they are working with is more challenging, beautiful, interesting... whatever.

-Composing is actually starting to get in motion. It had been very slow moving, not to say it still isn't, but now I'm able to work out specifically what I want for certain effects rather than doing a lot of the brainstorming I had been doing in starting out each of these variations.

hmm, tonight I got my Beethoven sheet music - my sonata in the Henle edition. It's so pretty! well, not really but ya!

No comments: