Saturday, August 19, 2006

Today made me feel very valued as a pianist/musician. When I awoke from my sleeping in today, I had two messages on my voicemail - almost making me regret having turned my cellphone off last night.

Message 1 was from a woman who needed an emergency vocal coaching before going off to Toronto for an audition. Her normal coach was unavailable. This woman had called up the musical theatre goddess with whom I've been working this last week (and this week coming up) and asked who she could call, and she gave her MY number.
There could not be a nicer hint that I've been doing a good job this week.
Unfortunately, by the time I called her back, she had been able to find someone else to do it, but I still felt honoured. The woman did however want to know if I was available in general as her regular coach will be moving away this year, I told her of course!

Message 2 was from my favorite pianist/fluter who wanted to know if I could substitute at a church tomorrow morning. I called her back and was able to do it. Yay for extra business. I haven't done a church service in a while, so it seems about time I go and visit the United version of God.
This message also made me realize that my voicemail message was still set to my 'out of town' greeting - oopsie! I fixed it right away. I wonder how many opportunities I missed because my message has been telling people I was unavailable all summer. I know I had (thought I had) changed it even before I came back to the city.... I guess I didn't select the new message as my current outgoing message or something silly like that.

Hmm, what else to say. I'm not quite as ranty today as last night, but I would like to address the comment I recieved.
The commenter stated that the redlight cameras are a violation of privacy. I was quite dissappointed that she was too lazy to give reasons, as I would be quite interested to hear such a justification. Nevertheless, I would like to present my thoughts on why they are not as such, a violation of privacy.
Firstly, is driving a private action? Perhaps the conversations you have within your vehicle could be deemed private, but I hold that the act of driving is indeed quite the public event. When you drive, you are controlling a large chunk of metal which is maneuvered around public and private property as well as people; out in public. This is why there are laws governing driving.
I struggle to see how the speed cameras are at all involving privacy. They simply measure an action and record those items that take part in said action.
Looking up the word private, there are several definitions that make reference to being 'out of sight', 'intended for one's exclusive use', or ' not available for public use'. I can not logically apply any of these definitions to the act of driving.

In terms of the choice to speed or break any other traffic law, I don't understand how the presence or absence of a person/police official makes a difference as to a driver's relation to the laws. When someone speeds, it is undeniable that there could be a police officer with a radar gun at any point. Is this a violation of privacy?
If so, then why do we have these laws? Or are you only breaking the law if a police officer sees it happening? Does a tree make a sound if it falls in the woods and a police officer isn't there to hear it? Better yet, is a police officer still vegetarian if they don't realize that they've been eating meat in something all along?!?

Once again, I plea to my readers, and especially my commenters, do tell me if I am wrong. but don't simply do it to gloat or to put me down, I am here to learn. I want explanations and reasons for what you think. I do want to know why these cameras are a violation of privacy. Please Please tell me why!

1 comment:

Colpani said...

Access:

VĂ©io Rosa Brotherhood

www.veiorosa.blogspot.com

heresy and subversion