Saturday, January 26, 2008

I voiced some of my concerns in an email to a friend in the diabetes field here in Ontario and I received a response that said she wanted to talk to me, and that she might have some good news for me. Sometime after the weekend we will talk and, well I will shush up until then at least.

I realized today when I went to chop up my onion, that I had no onion. The grocery service forgot my onion. Brilliant on their part, but I'm not sure if I'll give them the satisfaction. I sent an email and they credited me with the cost of the onion. Somehow, their mistake costs me about a buck, but it almost guarantees them a repeat customer. I don't think it's worth it, I'll be going to the actual grocery store on my own.
My roommate seems really happy with the service. I guess there are lots of pros, but theres something too sterile about the process. If I continue to use it, I might find other ways to become a complete hermit, and while I don't mind hermiting over the weekends, I think it could damage me if it were a more permanent thing.

I've ignored commentary on my piano trio for a while - partially because no work was getting done, and partially because I wasn't sure what I would even say.
I had thought I was very close to a finished product before the break, but I was redirected to write a completely new piano trio. I brought the new version to my last lesson - now it is time to pick parts of both and mix them together. I knew I was going to be doing this in the end, but it hasn't made the process any easier.
And by 'easier' I don't mean in terms of general difficulty, I mean emotionally. Not that this is a huge thing, but I think we (or just me) get attached to the things we create-in the state that we created them. It's one thing to edit a piece and make changes here and there, even big changes are fine, but this is taking the elements of the original and tearing them apart. We lose that emotional attachment, not that we have to the music, but that the music has to it's own surroundings. If I think of my musical construction as a representation of how I relate to the world around me, as I sometimes do, then I am basically uprooting myself.
Anyway, I'm not so haughty to claim that the first version was the best and I'm going to ruin what I had; and I'm actually quite excited to go through this process, but it seems to have more weight than I would have imagined.
Once I finish inputting the newer version into the computer, I will print it out and then literally sit with the papers and cut them up into chunks and bits and then paste them together into something new and exciting!

No comments: