Monday, January 07, 2008

Moderate Sadness

I got an email tonight saying that my SSHRC application was not sent on to the national level. Apparently the whole university can only send 53 (+5 alternatives) applications forward to the national level, so I'm not surprised that out of the thousands of Grad Students here, I am not one of those. Especially looking at those numbers, I'm really not surprised, but I'm still disappointed. That extra 5 grand would have been really nice...
Currently, I'm still in the running for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, which would also be an improvement on funding for next year, though not quite as prestigious or lucrative. No matter what, I will still get the same funding from Western next year as I did for this year, I'm just hoping to get a little more.

Today I was officially back to classes. Teaching went well, I had a good first class back - not only was I on time, but I had time to do all my prepwork (photocopying) for the term. I hate photocopiers and I can't really use them!! My students only mildly mocked me for the packets whose pages faced different directions and had a blank cover page.... but I wasn't going to spend 10 minutes putting each packet back in proper order -they had all (most) of the information in them!

Orchestration was interesting and useful today, although we didn't look at either of our work that we've done over the break... We talked quite a bit about the practical side of score preparation - who needs which markings, what information is necessary, even what type/size of paper we should print on. It was incredibly useful information that we will put into good use. We've decided that we'll treat the performance as a presentation after which we will have a seminar/defence of our work. This means we will get to criticize each other, it will be fun!

No comments: