Saturday, January 19, 2008

Inspection notice

I got a notice in my mailbox today letting me know that the cable is live in our apartment so we should call and pay them in order to avoid disconnection and reconnection fee.
Pish Posh!
If they disconnect it, then I'm sure we'll miss it, but we can watch most things online anyway and I'll be honest, I'll probably be more productive if there's no television here.

Update, I plugged the phone into the wall to see if there was still a dial tone... there sure is!

To clarify, if my roommate and I had been cheap and not paid for anything besides rent and hydro, we would had nearly half a year of free cable, borrowed wireless Internet from our neighbours who don't secure their networks, and a telephone line with a bill that goes to who-knows-where.

Now we just play the waiting game and watch our television until they disconnect us.

New Topic!
Last night, I dreamt of the piece I am writing for piano trio. Literally, I dreamt of the score, but nothing tangible. I don't 'hear' music unless I consciously hum it inside my head so it wasn't like I heard the final piece and I'm now madly writing it down; I can't even very well describe the experience as I had it. I just experienced the score from various perspectives.
I woke up and started writing. The dream didn't tell me new material to write, rather it allowed me to look at the material I had already written and continue along that path without all the painstaking thinking I was doing late last night. Perhaps the dream was a continuation of that line of thinking I was attempting last night.
My prof told me that he describes his way of composing as looking at an image through frosted glass; it thaws out slowly and you start to see more of the picture the longer you work on it.
My experience is similar, maybe I'll describe it as working on a jigsaw puzzle through frosted glass - I have a concept of the piece as a whole, but I can't put it into words or notes. I make conscious choices as I go along. With each decision I see, I see a little more of how it fits into the whole and that helps me to make further decisions.
Accordingly, last night, my puzzle thawed itself out quite a bit and I can now work more efficiently with the decisions I have made, which in turn will make the coming decisions make more sense.

1 comment:

Jonathan Evans said...

I had free cable for a year in Calgary. When they came to disconnect it, I simply watched where he did it, and when he left I hooked it back up again, haha. He didn't even lock the box! The downside was we couldn't watch TV and use internet at the same time. Stupid paying for things...