Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Okedoke,
I took my orchestration scores to school today with plans of getting them bound and handing them in. I decided that I should wait and bind my Electro score at the same time. I came home to print it out in the early afternoon. It took me more time than I expected to tidy up the score, due to Photoshop battles, but I got it done. Then I convinced myself that I should do my parts photocopying while waiting for the binding.... that seriously took me HOURS to tidy up all the parts and print them out so I could take them to photocopy them onto big paper.
Long story short, it was after 8 before I got home. I had my first Kinko's experience and generally it went pretty well. The binding is KILLING me, so damned expensive.. to think that I was able to do it myself, and for free at the ballet....

ANYWAY, moral of this story is that I am finished with Electro and Orchestration, for now. I might be completely finished with Orchestration; we are meeting on Tuesday (a day before the reading) to edit and search for mistakes. If we find them, I'll have to reprint and whatnot to the effected parts.

For now, I'll assume that everything is perfect with everything, thus freeing myself up to working on my compositions!
My meeting with the singer was great. She helped me clear up one wishy-washy notation thing and gave me very good feedback, I was also able to show the piece to a percussionist. She pointed out that one thing was just impossible - I had misjudged the size and span of the Marimba.... it's freaking HUGE! Nevertheless, there is a simple suggestion - the singer will play the wind chimes in one tricky little area!
I'm going to ignore that piece for a few days because it's pretty much done - I'll come back in a few days and make edits and then send it off to the performers so they can get started on it.

I feel very good about my productivity lately! It's Wednesday evening and I'm all ready to start on the weekend I thought I would only be able to get to on Friday.

No comments: