Friday, January 25, 2008

Zippidy-doo, time just flies by at lightening speed these days.

I don't like Ontario's health coverage. Manitoba is great in comparison.

Let's take a look at the basic concepts of diabetes that have been around for a long long time. Diabetics need insulin and a method of getting that insulin into their body. In order to lessen the randomness of diabetes management, diabetics monitor their blood sugar levels.

For my entire life as a diabetic, these facts have been a given and the government of Manitoba has provided me with basic access to Insulin, Needles, and Testing Supplies. I understand that the higher end versions of any of these key elements or beyond are not base-definition:Necessary and I accept that there has to be a minimum standard of care taken as a baseline.

I had been excited about Ontario's health coverage because I know they subsidize, if not completely cover, the cost of insulin pumps for children under 18 - a forward pushing initiative which is far beyond the baseline standards of even Manitoba.
This is why I was surprised and not pleased to find out that needles are not included in Ontario's basic coverage. The pharmacist told me that according to the government, needles are not considered a 'drug'. Upon asking for the distinction of a drug and a non-drug, I was told that drugs are those things that are deemed necessary
That is RIDICULOUS!
Without needles, I die. There is no other way of getting the insulin into my body. Even if I could lather and douse myself with insulin to try to absorb it through osmosis, how would I even get the drug out of the bottle?!? Not without a needle, I couldn't!

Before the break, I actually went to the office to get my Ontario health card, but I didn't have a passport so I planned on doing it later. I'm glad I did - now I will do some more research and most likely conclude the the added paperwork will be worth it if I remain a Manitoba resident for Health Care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remained an ontario resident until may when i had finished school, although neither residency benefited me in any way.
I do however expect you to one day fight the injustice of the ontario health system - it seems you have just the right amount of rage to make a difference for other diabetics in ontario (like, for instance, my father).
Let me know when you start your crusade, I'd be happy to assist you in any way i can:)

Michael Park said...

Yay for people being back into commenting!
Thanks Tiff!
I guess this is a coming of ignorance for me - realizing that the provinces are not equal in many many ways. I've always heard of diabetics online that have to pay for this and that and they rely so much on insurance companies... I thought that was "American", but it turns out that it's not as foreign to Canada as I thought. We talk about not wanting to turn into a 2-tiered health-care system... well, we're already there!

Jonathan Evans said...

You should really keep your MB insurance while you are there. Also stay a MB resident as long as you can, as you will find it gets you cheaper car insurance as well. I kept my MB residence for 5 years in Calgary, and probably saved about 3 grand in car payments alone. Mb health wasn't so easy to deal with once I move to HongKong though, and although they cover next to nothing while I'm here, they cancelled it anyway because I was lazy and didn't send them my work contract. If you're a student all you need to send them is proof you are enrolled , it's really not much paper work at all, you're just lazy! It took me about 10 minutes from Alberta.

Michael Park said...

Geez Jon, can you not just let me get away with bitching?!?

Michael Park said...

but, at the same time, thanks for the comment!

Mai said...

Hahaha. funny to see Jon talks so much.
But seriously, Ontario health care doesn't sound fair at all. Considering how rediculous amount of tax you (well, all canadians) have to pay to the province and the country, they are not giving you any back!

how was your online grocery? My sister used to tell me how her roomie always ordered groceries when she was in college. Maybe online grocery shopping is popular in Ontario?