Saturday, January 10, 2009

Productive workspace

Since I got my extended desktop set up on my macbook, I'm back to my desk.  The amount of daylight seems to be a lot less than it was before the break, so it's been dark in my workspace.  I've made a few changes that have actually made all the difference I could have hoped for.
1)  I moved a lamp onto my desk - I can see!
2) To make room for the lamp, I shifted my monitor over to the right side of the upper level - the lamp is on the left side of the upper level.
3)  While my speakers had previously been on the upper level, they are now on the main level where the computer and piles of paper are.
4)  Random other things have shifted to make best use of the space.
I had never really enjoyed having this glass computer desk, but it was cheap when I bought it.  Now that things are in different places, I think it is actually a really good set-up.  

The second movement of my thesis is now actually coming together.  I feel like I will actually have some good stuff ready for the orchestra reading which is coming up in two or so weeks.  I'm actually feeling like some of the things I've written are really quite beautiful.  Wow, I feel nauseous to have just said that.  Oh well, I should be self-encouraging from time to time.

Oh darn, I just realized that it is the weekend and I haven't done anything more with my applications.  There is still a bunch to do - printing out scores, deciding exactly which scores to include, the cover letters or statements of interest.  Anyway, I'll get around to some of that tomorrow.  I'm waiting on feedback on my first movement so that I can edit it and include it as one of my portfolio submissions.

I'm spending too much time blogging.  Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm all over the proper workspace. When you finally find the set up that works for you, it's like right there is the only place you want to be. It makes me sooo productive. Only, I haven't found it in my apartment yet, so I'm kinda unproductive. But I have nothing to be productive with, so I guess it's okay. Congrats on your workspace!