Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reading today!

Today was the reading of the first two movements of my Thesis.
All in all, the reading was pretty good and I got some valuable information.  There isn't really anything that I want to throw away or change completely, rather it gives me a good idea of areas that need some fixing, or changing notation so it will be clearer.
Generally, everyone did a really good job of sight reading, though I'll admit that the reading was asking a lot of the piano soloist.  There will be much more time for learning before the actual performance.
At this point, I'm going to make a few notational changes to the first movement, and then I'll be done with it - moving on to the remainder of the piece.  I have now developed a really clear concept of the last movement, so it's a matter of filling it in.

I took a little bit of this evening off completely from thesis work.  I read through some music at the piano: some delightful spanish music by Albeniz, pieces I played years ago (and shouldn't have tortured my roommate by trying to play through them again...), and just some random sight reading.  I also watched my new favourite Canadian television show - Being Erica while knitting.  Oh, I had gone on a quick power walk before that to get my metabolism in gear...  My sugars were sitting way up high in the stratosphere at 18.8 mmol and I had taken insulin to get them down, but I knew sitting around watching t.v. wasn't going to help them come down.  30 minutes later, I was home and tested my sugars at 11.3 mmol!  I've been watching them closely as they will still be coming down for a little while yet.

They call it a rage bolus -when you take way more insulin than you know you need so that the sugars will come down faster.  I used to do this rather recklessly years ago when my diabetes control was much less scientific.  The problem was that it would start dropping so quickly that I'd be super hungry and I'd need to eat to stave off a low - I'd invariably eat too much and then my sugars would rise back up again - not quite as much, but to a silly level nonetheless.  Nowadays, I basically take a pre-bolus.  That's when I know I'll be eating within an hour or two, so I take the correction and the meal bolus together and then give it a head start before eating. 
[I'm not advising any other diabetics to do this.  I am not a doctor - I'm just reporting on what I've done with my own care]
Ideally, I eat the food once my sugars have come down a fair bit, but with some leeway so that the remaining insulin is used up by the food.
Tonight, it was a rage bolus, but I'm going to justify it by figuring out how much insulin is still acting, and having a snack to counteract that remainder!

Mumbly mumbly, enough said.

No comments: