Monday, February 13, 2006

First day of Reading Week

It's not even noon, and already I've woken up and exercised! I feel so productive. Now I get to practice until its time to accompany dance class at the contemporary studio for 5.... such an awkward time. I only have to pay for 30 minutes of parking, cause its free after 5:30, but its always so busy downtown, so I have to allot myself extra time to find parking. Nevertheless, I always enjoy getting there a few minutes early and chatting with my friend Dale. We always have something interesting to say.
I practiced last night, but Im sorry to say it was one of my less productive evenings. I didn't have music for Mozart or Scriabin, but I decided I needed to run them through anyway, cause I haven't touched them in a week or more.... (Bad Michael). They were in predictable shape for my lack of attention. That's something I need to attend to. At the same time, the Mozart had gelled in it's offtime. It's an odd thing that after leaving a piece alone for a while, your subconscious gets used to it... so now if I spiff up the notes, it will be in ship shape. The Scriabin was not so gelled.... I need to work hard on the notes again and make them comfortable.
I worked some more on brahms and Bach last night. I worked on the memory and notes of the first 2 pages, and played the other 2 for Deena, there was one spot that I flubbed, but I feel confident in them as a whole. I felt the other pages coming into my memory, so Im sure that whole piece will be ready and set for my next lesson... thursday I think.
I didn't really work on the Capriccio, although I played through the problematic middle section for Deena, she agreed with me that it should go any faster than I even played it, but recordings tell me differently... we'll see what David says. Nevertheless, that middle section is not memorized, so I need to fix that STAT. The outer sections are fairly present in my memory banks, but the piece as a whole feels a little uncomfortable.. not good cause this is one of the pieces that I've had in my binder for the longest...(I will get a lecture about it not being prepared enough, Im sure). But the plan is still to work as hard as I can until the lesson and thereafter. Nevermind, I just listened to the recording, and he plays the middle just the tempo I play it at... but I don't like the recording.. I'll play it better and more stylistically... so I feel better.
Bach is coming along quite nicely, though I need to start forcing it to be stayed in my memory. There's one 4-bar section that is the devil. It takes me 3 times as many times playing it to succesfully move up the metronome, but still it's not secure.. and its 20 metronome markings slower than the rest of it.... I have been spending more time on it alone than any other part of the fugue.... I'm still gonna work at the P and F and get them as fast as I can get them.. which still won't be fast enough, but I'm fine with that. I'm really enjoying them, though... which is good cause I wasn't a super big fan. I had told David to pick any one for me, because I wasn't picky and I respected and love all Bach. He picked a fast one.. and I've only ever done slow Bach... so its good for contrast, but ya... it's grown on me, and now Im excited to play it! yay!
anyway, off to productivity!

1 comment:

James said...

kick ass poster mikey! I'll see if I can get the eve off!