Saturday, February 04, 2006

Good day! productive and the sort

long day, but it didn't really feel like it.
ballet from 9-11:30 then to the school for MRMTA accompanying.
Got to school, and ran through pieces with Jason, then rehearsed and then spent some time alone fixing some parts.. not enough time doing this i suppose.
I felt really good about 2 of his songs. I knew the notes well enough to concentrate on listening to him and whatnot... I have such respect for professional accompanists, and the collaborative pianists in this world. The other song was a terrible arrangement of Handel, I really doubt it was his writing for piano.. it might have worked better on harpsichord, but not so hot on piano. I was trying to find a balance of altering the notes and stuff, but because I was changing the notes, there was room for it to have been cleaner. Regardless, my playing didn't cause any problems or uncertainties with the singer, so Im good on that account.
After Jason, I had many hours before the next singer: 3 hours. I did some sitting, for a short while, but I practiced the hell out of my Bach. I decided that I would put in the effort to get the fugue to last week's tempo expectation.... It was more work than I would have thought... in the 2 or 3 hours of work I did on it, I got HALF of it reliably to the tempo I needed. Still more work to do! oi!. I was feeling rather inspired to finish the whole fugue, but I realised that I have to play a sonata tomorrow. Deena and I went to Frisco's for some dindin and then we practiced this evening. The sonata is feeling pretty secure, but I went over and over the tricky bits so that, with any luck they will be cooperative tomorrow!
Back up a second, the second singer I played for was also a good time. everything went well, although she was nervous, but that happens. She sang beautifully, and our ensemble was pretty damned good!
Later this evening, ca. 11:30pm, I played the viola along with an impromptu trio of heart and soul. Last night was the first time I ever played a string instrument and it was pretty scary... mostly for the people around me. The viola experience was pretty cool.
SPeaking of viola, I think that is the instrument I want to write my other piece for, for my comp course. I was suppposed to think of instrumentation for a piece.. keeping the option open for a solo instrument... I want to do viola cause Sara plays it, and its a cool instrument. The good thing about string instruments is that they are predominantly melodic instruments, but through the use of double/triple stops, you can achieve chords and polyphony. Lots of exciting options! yay

No comments: