Thursday, February 16, 2006

Lesson day

Im realising how much I use my lesson days as a landmark along my development... but no stopping now! It's not a bad thing at all.
The lesson was pretty much exactly like I expected it would be:
Brahms- David said there were some really good things going on. At the same time, they were both not settled and a little insecure. I had gone there not knowing why, so I was not effectively fixing the situation. David's assessment was that they are not secure enough in the fingers... and memory is a mix of both finger/muscular and intellectual memory. Therefore, I can also fix the tidiness issues at the same time! I just need to play them more and use specific practicing methods. Quel surprise! So yes, thats what i need to do, as per usual. Basically... Michael, learn your notes! haha

Bach- I played it memorized for him and it was better than I expected, at least I thought. 2 misconceptions:
1) I thought I was playing it grossly undertempo... but apparently I was playing it at performance tempo:
2) Because I thought it was supposed to go much faster, I was playing it lightly cause otherwise it wouldn't go faster...... David told me that I played it in completely the wrong character, and that it needs to be much more weighty and bold. A rolicking gigue!
The best part of the lesson was when I had to play it again, in the new character... he was inspiring me by actually dancing!! HAHA! it was the most delightful thing ever.
I did my best to play it in the style, but it was such a drastic change that it wasn't perfect and the first thing to go was the voicing...
That was the other big criticism... I need to voice the fugue subjects more clearly... of course I do... it's frickin BACH! thats what you do with Bach.
ANyway, thats something I started to put thought into lately, but hadn't implemented completely.. especialyl in the sections where I am more concerned with getting accurate notes.
all in all, I felt good about the Bach.. it wasn't perfect so David wasn't satisfied, but Im happy with the work I've done and it's effect. I feel comfortable now with a change in the style... I'm gonna keep working on the notes hardcore, but now add in the element of voicing and ENERGY!!!!!
After the lesson, I showed David my professional poster small version(4*6) and he was very impressed, he thought it looked very good. Then, I decided to show him the fun one......
I was worried what he would think... I'm constantly surprised that my view of David is often wrong.... He LOVED it!!! He actually asked to make sure he could keep the copy... he said he'd post the other one on his door and that one would go in his archive...!
I also showed it to a bunch of other people at the school and, while some people were shocked... the majority of people really enjoyed it. I'm so happy.
I'm going to get a big copy printed out and perhaps frame it as a keepsake! I for sure want to do that with the professional version, and I need big copies for putting up around school and other places for advertising...
anyway, thats all folks for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's hot Michael. I really have to get on the recital poster band wagon soon. See you at school.