Thursday, February 02, 2006

Went to the funeral today. It was beautiful, and hearing/learning things about my great aunt was wonderful. I knew the basics about her: that she was a strong hearted and headed woman, with a warm heart and grace. The things I heard today didn't surprise me because they fit into her personality, but they were inspiring little tidbits such as:
*when she was 16, she lied about her age so that she could be admitted to the women's army something or other, during the second world war.
*10 days before her death, she was hospitalized and informed that she had terminal pancreatic cancer. Rather than showing fear and being self-pitying, she accepted her fate with maturity and wisdom, showing and providing strength for those around her. She helped make arrangements for her funeral, and was apparently an excellent, even helpful patient at the Hospital where she was staying. After just a few days in the hospital, they allowed her to return home. Apparently she died very peacefully in her bed with a warm smile upon her face just after a beautiful sunrise, with loved ones at her side.
There is a beauty and inspiration in that and everything about her.

The funeral was in the same church as my grandmother's was, just a short while ago. The same organist and scenario were very reminiscent.
I really feel that funerals are one of the most beautiful practices in our culture.

I took the rest of the day off. I could have made my second class, but it was nice to have a day to relax. Im going to practice a bit now, then eat and then it's off to the school for Charmaine's flute recital.
Indeed it has been a good day.

No comments: