Monday, November 21, 2005

Creative bursts

So, it hadn't been a productive weekend for practicing really, and I realised that I still hadn't gotten any actual composition done yet, and I think he sorta expects to see something on thursday so I sorta started this weekend.
I had decided I wanted one of the poems (Old Dame Trot) to be in sprechstimme style (half sung/half spoken) so I started mapping out the shape of the words and thinking of what kind of piano accompaniment I wanted. I wrote down stuff vaguely for the first line and decided I wanted the piano to be rhythmic punctuation for the vocal line. It's been ruminating in my head for a few days so this afternoon I actually made time to do something, and the rumination paid off. I also had a creative outburst and started on another one of the poems. It's going to be a very simple setting of the poem with a very ethereal feel to the poem, very contrasting to the other.
Today was an ok day for practicing. Im not sure if I've mentioned it on here, but there is a terribly evil section in my concerto. It is a passage that includes fast running octaves, sixths as well as thirds. Bitches, all of them. Anyway, at last lesson, I could only play the passage at 150, and that was where it had truly maxed out... since then, David sanctioned me making a technical alteration to what the composer intended, which makes the passage easier to play without sacrificing too much of the sound. Really, the difference will be unnoticable, especially since noone knows this concerto. Today, I can play it up to 175. still a far cry from the 208 on the recordings I've heard.. but Im sure I can still get it faster, and it doesn't sound slow like it previously did. There are still a few areas that could be more secure in the memory, but I feel ready to perform it. I still have a week and I will do a lot of work in this week. The competition I'm playing it for isn't for money or scholarship, rather the winners get to play a piece with the orchestra or wind ensemble the following year as a soloist. I'd cross my fingers, but then those sixths passages won't happen!
I did some sight reading accompanying for a friend in a bind last week. She was super greatful and asked what I wanted to be paid... I said it didn't involve any prep or rehearsal so, I didnt want money or anything. She asked if I liked chocolate, I said yes, of course. Today she had brought me one of those big 2 layer Pot of Gold chocolate boxes!! I was extra generous and gave some to many people, otherwise I definately would have eaten the whole box. I used it to tide me over before supper because I now refuse to take the bus home during rushhour. It's also a great way to convince me to get more practicing done.
In closing, chocolate = productive day... I need to have more chocolate at my disposal. Also when practicing, I should drink more... I've gotten completely out of that habit. I think Im going to pour myself a snifter of Irish Whiskey and take a relaxing bath or something. Im feeling rather tense.
Good night

No comments: