Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Odd Day

Wow... interesting.
I couldn't be motivated to get out of bed for my first class today, so i went for 11:30. Luckily, when i arrived, Deena informed me that the prof for that first class must have felt the same as me, so i really didnt miss anything.
Im glad our group is done the 20th century presentation. They are all going overtime and he's getting a little pissy about it, but he said if you went early, he wouldnt care... YAY! The presentations today, including Deena and Breandan's, were incredibly informative, much more than normal classes have been. I actually took notes, mostly because I got off my ass and stuffed new loose leaf paper in my binder. In all honesty, thats the reason I haven't been taking many notes lately... cause I had no paper... Anyway, On monday, all the presentations were incredibly entertaining, complete with song and dance and jokes everywhere. Today was packed with info, still presented in a captivating way, but much more how do you say?.. academic. Its a good thing.
There was an all student convocation today, we met the new interim dean who will be our dean until I graduate. She seems bullheaded in a good way, an excellent administrator I'm sure. Im actually impressed, and I really don't care that she doesnt know a drop about music... it will make her all the better for the position.
At 1:30, there was a chamber recital and I went to see Brendan and Deena. I was not informed that i would have to sit through 2 (TWO) brass quintets. It was some kind of bizarre torture. I can handle the Canadian Brass, in fact I enjoy them a good deal. HOWEVER, non professional brass players are nowhere near what i expect as basic musicality. once again, this is basing things on comparing them to how I was in high school. Im not going to go as far as to say that i could play better, because who knows, but they were definately not the amount ahead of my level of trumpet playing was back then enough to warrant being in university. TUNING people, tuning. Tone people, TONE! and for gosh sake, know your embouchure well enough to centre it and start the pitches hopefully ON, but at least close to the right harmonic!!! BAH. Moral: not impressed. On the other hand, I have to give props to Gerard for some righteous tuba playing. Excellent tone and sensitive line and shaping. There were also other exceptions, but I really hadn't the patience for that much brass.
Over the last few days, my cough has come back... probably because I missed one dose of steroids a few days back... but I had to leave after the second brass group because of a coughing fit. I fet phlegmy, so I went to the washroom, where it got worse. I coughed up phlegm and bile and fun stuff. I felt naxious as well as week and warm. It sounded just as bad apparently from outside the washroom as it felt. As my doctor told me to call him if my situation changed, I called the office and they told me the only appt in the next week was at 4:30.
I watched Deena and Brendan play their flute piece, which was excellent. Brendan, if you had actually adjusted your flute up the necessary 14 cents when you played the tuning note at the beginning, those few crucial moments would have really sparkled. But nevertheless, it was some grade A playing on both of their parts. All of the parts which sounded like they would have been a nightmare working on ensemble with were great and together. AWESOME!
Just at my lesson time, I went to David to tell him I would be leaving to go to the doctor in lieu of a lesson. He told me to wait a few minutes; we just had to talk about a few things. Eventually the other lesson was over and he offered me a ride home. He had to clear a few things up at the school, like finding out when my jury would be (Friday between 10 and 11:30ish) then we left.
I was super greatful for the ride, as it saved me time and hassle. Also it gave us an opportunity to talk. The beginning of the ride was much like we talk at lessons, but as we went along bishop we talked about other stuff. I asked him what it was like coming back to little ol Winnipeg after travelling as a performer and whatnot. We also had a talk about improvisation, and David seems excited about my Special Area Recital-Lecture on Improvisation idea.
I went to the doctor, and he basically said not to be worried. He told me to keep taking the medication regularly, as if its clearing things up, then I am getting better. He drew a distinction between coughing up bile and cough induced vomit, the latter being the one I experienced which is not as serious. So while I felt like shit for a short while today, all is well and improving apparently.
I need to practice lots today and tomorrow for the jury. The 10 minutes or so I will be playing on friday will decide 30% of my mark for the whole year. So off to practicing for the moment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a crazy day, friend... and who is your favorite tuba player ever?? It's me!!