Friday, November 25, 2005

So, reading what I wrote yesterday... today seems not to have been productive.
We were told that we absolutely shouldn't skip today for the only class I had, even though it would end early. He lied. It turns out we didnt cover anything important and certainly not in any detail. So I ended up on the bus for and hour and a half both directions so that I could sit in class for 30 minutes!! Not Impressed. I did,however see two fellow performer/students play concertos today in preperation for the competition tomorrow. They did very well, and I wish them the best of luck tomorrow.
When I came home, most of the day had gone by, and I was tired, I ended up eating late lunch and falling asleep on the couch. I practiced the first page of my concerto... I could try and sit here justifying how making a good first gesture in the piece is very important, so the work I did on the opening was important.. but not as much as it would have been to address the other issues in the piece. Nevertheless, I have quite a bit of time in the afternoon which I will devote to last minute perfections and rehearsing with Beckie before the competition. The university singers concert tonight was nice. I really wasnt all that in the mood for choral music. My only beef really was the overly white choir trying to sing gospel. As much as I joked about it being cause there were too many mennos in the choir, I still don't understand why more effort isn't spent getting beyond the notes. Singing in an academic choir is great when the notes on the page are the art form and the performance is meant to represent that masterful creation (ie Bach and Brahms choral pieces), but in gospel or african or native american pieces, more attention needs to be paid that the notes are western music's attempts to reflect the art form, whose notation we are often not fluent in.
Other than that, all is well

No comments: