Monday, November 20, 2006

I feel good. I shall try and be of few words, but my piece was played today.
A few people had laughed when they heard the title, but I believe they repented once they heard the piece. One of my friends actually appologized for her misunderstanding.
I read the program notes/explanation of the piece before Diane played it - I was so nervous, but I don't think I did too badly. I was worried about being overly emotional during or after the performance, but I held myself together.
Diane played a very convincing and powerful performance, and we got a few people ovating in standing position too. I heard nothing but positive feedback from everyone I talked to. Diane's teacher pointed out that the response we got from the audience was above and beyond the normal of what can be expected from a student audience: They were silent and actually involved in the performance.
A number of people mentioned how emotionally moving it was for them, and that means so much; to know that my intentions were felt and effective.
At this point, I can only hope that I will find a way to have my ensemble piece be as effective in presenting the concept of the piece.
Orchestration test didn't go so well... I guessed on a few definitions... it's so frustrating when you recall reading a word and making an effort to remember that word, but then completely blanking out on the context of it. I didn't quite finish the last question - an orchestration of a string orchestra segment into pitched percussion... but there were a lot of people who didn't realize there had been a fourth page.... I'm assuming he will probably be adding some marks to everyone's grade as was the case with the first test.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(i've been waiting for you to post so that i could comment)
I LOVED your piece. I had absolutly no idea what to expect, not knowing what level a student composer would be at. But this piece seemed so carefully laid out and thought about that it was just so beautiful. If it was played sans composer i never would have guessed a student did it. I think it's sooo great it should be in a contest of sorts. I mean, more people should hear this. it was great. And choosing diane to play it certainly paid off, she did a brillant job.
Everyone in the audience DID feel something, because i was sitting in the very back, and by the third movement everyone was totally focused and interested. and the standing ovation was entirely genuine, and much deserved.
I'm stunned michael, i thought it was an amazing piece of work.
Congrats!

Michael Park said...

wow, thank you so much Tiffy!