Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wow, does time ever fly by...

I was shocked to read that November is Diabetes Month.. not because I forgot that there was such a thing, rather I couldn't believe that it had been a whole year since I wrote about it on my blog last year.... It really doesn't seem like that long ago... but alas it was.

Reminder- I am an insulin dependant diabetic. With the proper control and maintenance, I can live a long and healthy life.. but there's just all those pesky little things that get in the way - AKA life!
I read on the internet the other day that this is the best time in history to have diabetes. It goes without saying that diabetes management keeps improving, so it is always the best time to be diabetic provided you are comparing to the past. But he had a point:
-Our knowledge about metabolism and the effect of insulin on the body is getting better all the time.
-There is a lot of excitement in the field of islet transplant and stemcell research which has shown some success so far and a lot of promise.
-With all the self-help and mumbly going on these days, there is a major shift towards healthy living (which is appearing as a necessity for a continent of unhealthy overweight people) which can help a lot for everyone, especially diabetics and their control.
-With blogs becoming more popular than ever, it is becoming easier to find out how other diabetics manage and survive AND maintain a life that isn't completely overrun by needles and bloodglucose testing.

All of these are great things and they create an exciting world to live in. As always, Diabetes month is prompting me to take better control and improve myself so that diabetes will have less impact on the rest my life.

Anyway, with that, I wish everyone a Happy Diabetes Month!

No comments: