Monday, November 05, 2007

Despite a massive chunk of doing nothing in the middle of the day, today was a fairly successful day. In the morning I finished giving the SightSinging tests and then I went to the electro lab to do some work. I got the necessary samples into the synthesizer for my project. From there I need to play around and figure out how the samples need to be transposed and used so that they relate mumbly. I know what needs to be done, it's just a lot of listening and playing around in order to get things to the point of being usable.

I came home and internetted/napped/ate lunch from 1 - 4pm. Then I went back to the school. Originally I was going to go to school, work and then take a break for dinner. While I left my house at 4:30 for the bus, I didn't get to my bus transfer point until after 5pm... I literally could have walked in 15 minutes, BUT I waited for the bus out of spite. It should have been there right when I got there... Bastard Bus! Pissy, I went to Wendy's for supper and had a frosty, Yum!
Eventually I got to the school. I did got some composing done and then I went to the electro lab again, this time to do the listening assignment for this week. They were long pieces, but I enjoyed them. By that point, I was ready to go home, but then I stopped in the big class/room with piano in Talbot College and I ended up composing for another hour or so. I forced myself to fill in certain gaps before leaving. Basically, the opening dialogue of my piece is well, certainly not finished, but in formation.
The 'dialogue' sections are based on the rhythm and shaping of speech / language. I had marked the rhythm of these sections, but not notes. I had a few of the gestures notated with notes, but today I forced myself to choose notes and gestures. For the first time in the process, I allowed myself to just compose, like my prof had suggested, rather than planning everything and fitting the notes in as result of the plans. Especially for the piano part, it was great to be writing this at the piano.
Speaking of piano - I started relearning a piece that I played for my ARCT examination / undergrad auditions. Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 5 in E minor. It is a great piece and I want to be able to play it again, not just random snippets that I recall vaguely how to play.
I am feeling some of the contrast between how I used to play it and how I am trying to relearn it. I can feel it, it's blatant which areas I never really learned reliably the first time around. Applying some of the practice methods and technical skills I learned over the last few years will make the relearning process efficient and I will be able to play the piece super well with less than major effort. It was the first really big piece I ever played. Huge and Romantic and I played it with a certain passion back then, but I think now I'm a little more mature and wiser, and I think I will be able to do more with the piece this time around.
I'll be honest, I've been toying with the idea of entering a performance competition here. I need to find out some details about it. It wouldn't be much, I would just have to submit a recording of myself for the first round. I could use this piece as the second and third round piece if I even made it that far. Anyway, I'll see what my options are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you should totally enter the comp! I think you'll do well :)