Monday, November 19, 2007

I listened to a lot of Scriabin today, and over the weekend. While reading scores, I have listened to and studied(somewhat) all 10 of his piano sonatas and the his first two symphonies totaling nearly 4 hundred pages of music. I also listened to his piano concerto, his fourth symphony and his symphonic poem "Prometheus". I think I am now much more aware of his style in general. I realized that the sound which I had long associated with Scriabin is that of his early works, of the Romantic period. However, the sound of his 'chord of mystery' which characterizes the Scriabin that most musicians think of and refer to, doesn't appear until later in his output.
The development through his musical output is astonishing. His influences of Chopin and Debussy are obviously there, but one also hears his own influence on all of modern pianism. I can now trace the line of Debussy to modernism in piano writing that I never really understood before.

In terms of my own composition. After the reading session, I applied the notation changes and added in tempo markings and now I have quite a detailed score. I think I have a good balance of enough detail, but not stiflingly so. I also started to re-evaluate the piece itself. My prof's major comment was that the piece lacked counterpoint - looking at it, I agree. I had tried to emulate the rhythms of speech/conversation, but I guess I forgot that dialog is never limited to back and forth - my musical depiction where the two voices never cross really doesn't represent that with any realism. My initial thought is that I will be able to fix this with some additions, then I will have to reevaluate that and see if it needs some structural alterations as well.
Aside from the dialog element, I had earlier left a more 'pure music' section with a blank area so that a secondary melodic line could interweave there, but I was at a loss for words when it came to filling in that blank. I feel a little refreshed about the piece after this weekend, so that should sort itself out when I get to a piano next.
I still have to do some work for my orchestration meeting tomorrow, while the listening I did will surely benefit what I learn in the course, I still have to have the work to show for what I've learned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saluton el Kroatio! Bedaurinde mi ne regas la anglan. Se mi ghin regus mi kun plezuro legus vian blogon. Ni ja ambau shatas klasikan muzikon kaj vi skribas pri ghi. Feliche vi regas per Esperanto kaj mi povas vin almenau kore kaj amike saluti.