Sunday, November 08, 2009

I'm getting down the the wire with this bassoon piece, and procrastination is at a high.
Why can I not do this much tidying when I don't have a piece to finish writing?!?

After 7 full days, my CGM died. 45 minutes of solid weak signals were followed by a lost sensor message despite the fact that it was mere inches away.
Because Medtronic's CareLink technology is not mac-compliant, I am unable to show any pictures of the progress I made over these 7 days, but I can tell you that it was spectacular! I will use a friend's computer in the next week or so to upload my info. There were a few days that I was anal enough to input all of my info into the bolus wizard, but not enough to really analyze the trends.
What I got out of the week was:

-knowing that my sugars are stable as a rock overnight

-knowledge that my sugars only start to rise once I've woken up. This is caused by a change in metabolism, and NOT the dawn phenomena that people pre-empt with the pump. I never really found the perfect solution for this morning sugar-rise problem while I was on the pump. As a result, I need to take 3 units as soon as I get out of bed, plus any correction, or insulin for carbs.

-updated carb ratios - I'm back to 1 unit for every 5 grams. Basically I've learned that insulin is a little less efficient on MDI, but that's ok.

I'm going to use this information to get things under better control. If I remember to pack the pump, I'll likely use the CGM over the holidays to help keep an eye on things. Or maybe I'll use it earlier to really tighten things up before the holidays.

Anyway, for now I need to finish this piece.
Goodnight!

No comments: