Friday, November 27, 2009

Thursday post

Happy Thanksgiving... if you're American.
On a Thursday - really?!?

I don't get these Americans. One of my good Vancouver friends is American, so we had a makeshift Thanksgiving dinner tonight. 2 of the 3 present were Vegetarians, so it was a non-turkey event, which is fine.
The menu:
Appetizer: Artichoke dip with Tostitos: The chips were surprisingly salty. The dip was rich and delicious.

Mains/Sides:

-Sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top: I was confused about why they needed so much sweetness. Brown sugar AND pure sugar on top... was a bit much for me. I would have preferred nice creamy mashed potatoes, but this was a meal to help our American friend feel less home-sick.

-Green Bean casserole: mushroom soup and french-fried onions. Even though I'm not a huge bean fan, I actually would have preferred them just plain with butter.

-Stuffing: after my roommate made it with the directions from the box, we realized that we had spent 3 dollars on a box of croutons! Nevertheless, it was ok with the gravy.

-Stuffed Red Peppers: This was my contribution. The stuffing was mixed beans, tomatoes, spinach, onion, tomato sauce and chili powder. They turned out pretty good, not that anyone else would know.

I am not the easiest person to offend, but tonight my feelings were hurt. Neither of my friends even tried the peppers they were served.
It's not just the fact that the food went to waste (I'll eat the leftovers, but stuffed peppers are never as good after they've cooled), but it was fairly clear that they assumed they would be bad, so they didn't even try them - essentially telling me that my food wasn't even worth trying!
After I had tried my pepper (I tried it last on my plate, after everyone else's...) they asked me how it was. I replied modestly, 'it's okay", because, what kind of douche would reply 'oooh, the peppers I made are superb, you simply must taste my deliciousness!'

Oh ya,
We had peach/blueberry pie from Safeway. It was sugary and delicious.

3 comments:

Tiffy said...

If I had been there, I TOTALLY would have eaten your bell peppers - not just because you put work and thought into them, but because they sound really good! Clearly everyone else was missing out!

Michael Park said...

Thanks Tiffy.
Can't wait to hang out over the holidays.

hollyrancher said...

I would have eaten your peppers, MJ. I would not have eaten the sweet potatoes... When are you leaving Vancouver? I'll be there on the 20th. Maybe our paths will cross?