Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Well, I'm consistent.
I got an 82 in both round of CMC. The thing is that while it's good enough to get to the second round, its not sufficiently good to go any further.
The comments from the same judges as last time seemed like it was from completely different judges... but thats because I probably sounded like a completely different pianist today. Everything that all 3 judges said leads me to believe that I didn't listen to myself at all today. I played very heavy, therefore Mozart was uncharacteristic and Rachmaninoff sounded blasty and insensitive.
It's odd that I felt terrible about Sunday, and they liked it; today I felt a lot better about it, but they didn't like it. I need to be more in touch with my own musicality. While you should be able to lose yourself in a performance, you should be able to look back on it objectively... something I've lost sight of.
Anyway, I've actually learned a ton from this experience, and their comments are extremely well put and helpful, I just wish they reflected on my normal playing, but that's my fault for not playing that way today.
The true excitment of today is that, having finished with this weekend, I can say goodbye permanantly to:
Mozart Sonata K.331
Brahms Intermezzo(and Cappriccio)
Scriabin Op. 49
Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Major
PDQ was already gone, but added to the list is Rubinstein, which I won't have to relearn this summer.
In fact, in 2 weeks time, I will be completely done with all of this years rep and ready to start on next years!
However, still on the waiting list for this year is my Jury of 10 minutes of music(Rach and Scarlatti), a paper on Brahms, a paper on Kindertotenlieder, and a viola composition, plus the actual process of printing and binding my compositions. I just called the university copy centre and I should be able to get them done for cheap there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, i'm so sorry!
I've been thinking about you all day, i was really rooting for you. It's so sad that you didn't get it, but i'm really glad that you learned from it; at least all was not lost.
Yay for being done music.

(I'm available for haircuts next week.)

Michael Park said...

you've been aching to cut my luscious locks for such a long time!
I will allow you the pleasure soon enough, haha

Anonymous said...

All I'll say is:

NO MULLETS!

(obviously, you know who this is!)

But, in regards to CMC... it's good you felt good about today. Way to be consistent with the 82, but more importantly...

New Rep.

Hopefully, that's an exciting prospect for you...it's an exciting prospect for me...