Sunday, September 10, 2006

followup on yesterday

I forgot to do a little followup on my first day back to work. Where I left off, we were halfway through the day and it wasn't seeming too bad.
In reality the day was interminably long. It's ridiculous, I start at 9am and didn't leave until close to 5m yet I only get paid for 6.25 of those hours. But it's not like the other years where I've had those 1.75 hours right in the middle to do nothing. This year I only have an hour lunch break which I thought was going to be great according to last year's boredom during the 2 hours break, but now I miss that extra time. The afternoon runs from 1-4:40 and it's in the same room with the same teacher sitting on the same hard piano bench. I love the teacher and we work very well together, bu it would be nice to have at least just a little variety.
In terms of the ballet classes I'm playing, I'm a little unsatisfied - they are all in the middle age range. The young classes are not inexperienced enough to allow me to enjoy their honest reactions to the music and any cuteness that children might have; The older classes aren't quite high enough in experience to allow me to make use of the finesse of dance musicality. In the end, I am improvising nothing music so that the dancers can have a glorified metronome - in other words, a normal ballet pianist.
Anyway, I have the opportunity to play some of the higher level professional division classes during the weeks if I want. The only problem is that they are at 8:30 am. I certainly don't want that to become a regular aspect of my life this year.
On the other hand, the modern classes I will be playing for are generally more advanced, and in addition to that, my freshness to the movements will continue to hold my attention and allow me to build a stronger relation between the music and those movements.
Between the components of modern dance I will be experiencing, I think I can justify to myself and others that I am satisfied as a dance musician, but I fear to say that I no longer enjoy playing for ballet classes. Of course I will continue to do it at present, because it is a job and it will always be available to me as not many people can do it.
For the rest of today, I have one isolated primary ballet class to accompany. In the evening there is another dance jam that I will be going to. I will try and get something productive done between the one and the other.

No comments: