Thursday, September 28, 2006

so, I wasn't really pissy today. I was a little mumbly if people brought up the ticket topic, but other than that, I was sunshiney.
I made myself special hot chocolate, and the thermos kept it hot until after my piano lesson.
Piano lesson went very well. It was short, but we covered the Bach first movement. The intro section was good. I know the notes securely, but now I have to change it quite a bit to allow for the proper double dotting of the rhythms... the notes don't even closely line up as they look like they should on the page... oh wel! The fugue - David has always said he'd perfer to hear things perfect at a slower tempo.... but when I tried to play the fuge at about 2/3rds tempo, he stopped me and told me there woulnd't be anything he could say about it if it was that slow.... so I played the end of it much faster than I had learned it accurately - it wasn't overly sloppy actually. He excused the mistakes because he knew what point I had them learned to (tempowise) but this way he could hear the musical intentions and thoughts. There is a lot of reworking I have to do in this piece in terms of articulations... GARH! Nevertheless, it should be reasonable to change them now that I have somewhat securely learned the notes.
We also talked about the Diana McIntosh piece I'm playing. He played through all the different sections, which was good, now I have a certain aural image to go by. I hadn't even started learning notes enough to play it in a lesson, so it was a conceptual lesson taught on the piece. I'm super excited for this piece... it will be such fun. He doesn't want me to put the piece off, but he's not worried about me learning it. While it is fully notated, it is improvisatory in nature so the figurations don't require as much thought and effort as would compositionally sculpted musical fragments.
Luckily my special hotchocolate helped me through the pedagogy class....gah it was boring and I don't like the class. Choir went remarkably well, the conductor was in a good mood!
After choir, some friends and I went to the bar on campus for some drinks and nachos! yummy! good time!
I then bought my orchestration workbook, bought a bus pass, worked a few hours and went for dinner with my parents, came home and hung out with fi for a short short whle, and nw I'm here.
I have to still do some reading for an orchestration test tomorrow, so I'll leave you there...
All in all, a very good birthday!

No comments: