Friday, September 15, 2006

Long days

So today marked the end of the first official week back at school. These last 2 days were long.
Yesterday, I started with a piano lesson at 10:15 then classes and choir and then working. After that, it was 7pm and I was going to just head home, but I ended up actually getting a call from my friends from the Lodge this summer. We went for food and drinks and it was really nice to see them again.
Today also started with a piano lesson at 9:30. I am not a morning person. After the lesson, I had pancakes made by our student counsel! Delicious, and I got one that was shaped like a panda - hardcore pancake chef! Then, to celebrate my dear friend Chris's birthday which was yesterday, we went to the campus bar for drinks. We got Chris drunk before noon! So then there were a bunch of randomly drunk people in our choir rehearsal, oh well... it was great fun. I had some more classes and then meetings and thenI practiced for a bit. In the evening, I went out with Chris and some people for food and drinks, although none of the tequilla shooters of the late-morning. Now, I am home.
A note on lessons - it is a good sign that David hasn't mentioned anything about progress or whatnot. We have basically just jumped back into the flow of our lessons. The difference is that we are at the beginning stages of my pieces. A good thing about that is that for my first two lessons, we've only made it through a bit of the Liszt and the first movement of the Beethoven. I will have many more first-impression lessons where he will see the progress that I had all summer to make. On the serious side of the same comment, it's great to have some input after working all summer on my own. So many questions have been popping up as for how to learn/practice/play/think about certain aspects of the pieces. So ya, I feel that I'm at a good place for the beginning of the year.
Lessons have also changed from the twice weekly to the once weekly.... good thing is that I only have to wake up early once a week, bad news is that I have to be there for 9am... earlier than I would like, but oh well, it's only once a week, and I really can't change it...phooey
On Monday, I have my first composition lesson. I'm excited, and I'm going to use a lot of my time this weekend to get even more ready for it. I still haven't finished that composition, but I hope to have it done soon... I do have to have it and another one which I haven't started yet done for december sometime..... as in early december. The big thing about this composition is that I have to get it to the pianist who I am going to get to play it in enough time to learn it so I can get it performed/recorded for that deadline. I also have to pick a pianist to play it. Because of the subject topic, I wan't a really genuine emotional player who is technically clean... I basicall want it all. I realize that I'm probably the best one to play it the way I want, but I think there are cleaner players out there, and I don't think I'm emotionally strong enough to perform the piece in front of an audience at school. Regardless, I know I will get some great advice at my lesson and I hope to wrap it up soon.
I'm going to take my laptop to work tomorrow in hopes that I might get some work done on my lunchbreak, albeit short.
With that said,I am going to go to bed now. That's right - before midnight. I definately don't want a repeat of last week on to little sleep. A long day becomes endless when you are tired. Tonight, I'm gettin me my full eight hours!!! Yippee!

No comments: