Friday, September 01, 2006

I think all is well in the world right now.
I had my piano audition for ... hmm I'm not sure exactly what it is for, but I played for the piano faculty nonetheless. It went quite well. I can't remember ever feeling so prepared for something that I didn't really give a rat's ass about. I remember in first year it was such a big deal, I was playing for people that I didn't know and it was their chance to make first impressions of my playing.... EEK! As the years go by, they know my pianism inside out so it doesn't matter what I present to them at the end of the summer. Aside from that, I played well. I did however make an ass of myself in front of them.... I didn't know how old I was. I told them 23, then I paused and wondered, (outloud) 'am I?.... maybe I'm only 22, I have a birthday" to which they replied "oh, good, did you have it already? In the end, I was too confused to specify my age, so some of them think I am 22, some 23...
That same day, I had a voice lesson with a friend from school. I learned a lot.
I also had a massage, deep tissue, very therapeutic. I hurt a lot.
Ok, so last night I went to a folk/bluesy show featuring an old friend from high school. I don't see her much or really keep in touch, but I try to see a show of hers once in a while(about once every 2 years...) It was good to see her again, and even better to hear her. She didn't pick an easy road but she's doing great!
SO ya, I've decided that I'm going to buy myself a laptop. I was supposed to be able to buy the one my dad uses at work at a discount when he retires, but I guess his laptop is too new, so I'm gonna buy a laptop for myself anyway. Buying it now will help me out a whole lot. All the notation I've been doing for compositions and whatnot is on computer, and its a little frustrating a) trying to write it on the printed out copies from my computer with the rests in the bars and 2)having to run to another room to play something on a piano to see if it works the way I think it should. This way, I will have a computer that I can plunk right on the piano. In theory it will allow me to be much more productive. There's a lot of things to think about in terms of buying a laptop.... they're a fairly chunky investment in terms of my budget at least. I do want something that's portable, but I want something that can be my only computer when I move away. At the same time, I'm fricking cheap.
But ya, Heather and Gareth are going to take me laptop shopping tomorrow, so I can have people who know about things to advise me. Heather is also financially conservative, so she won't let me overspend!
Yay for my sister being engaged!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buying a laptop is a great investment Mikey. Trust me. Last year I bought a Desktop and I'm sort of regretting it because there's no way I would be able to lug that thing around campus without smashing into someone and making a huge ass out of myself. Hey, you should have told me about our "friend's" gig last night. I totally would have come. I found out about it in the tab at 11:30 that night so it was way to late to head out there. Oh well. Next time. Did you get any of her CDs?

Michael Park said...

She didn't actually play her first set til after midnight anyway, so you totally still could have made it, but oh well - who woulda knew...
I have one of their CD's but I'm not sure if its their most recent.