Friday, September 22, 2006

I still haven't taken theplastic protective cover off of my laptop,
I still haven't decided if or when this will happen.
Apparently they tried to deliver a package to me today, but I was not home, so it will be available to me after 1 pm tomorrow at the local post office. I think it is a new blood glucose meter.
I love new blood glucose meters - I have kept up-to-date on all the developments over the past 10 years. I think I have had almost every new one that has been available to diabetics in Canada. They make fun of me at the pharmacy. I also keep all of my old meters so that I can one day donate them to a museum for a display on the development of blood glucose testing since michael was in his mid teens.
This new one is what I have been waiting for for a long time. The biggest problem for me is their portability... it would be easier if I had a purse. You need to have the meter, the strips as well as the lancer (aka make-finger-bleed machine)in order to test your blood. Most of them have carying cases so you can keep them all together, but the case is too bulky to fit in a pocket. Therefore, I either have to carry a backpack with me or I just don't bring my tester... This is obnoxious for going to restaurants because who wants to take a backpack to anywhere nice,,, and it's important to know your blood sugar before eating... so I never win. It's better in the fall or the winter when I have a jacket with pockets. Otherwise my pants are heavily weighed down with the testing machine, the strips, the lancer, the insulin pen, the needle caps for the insulin, my keys, my wallet and my cellphone.
Eventually, I want them to make a cell phone that doubles as a meter, but I'm not holding my breath.
This new machine that is hopefully waiting for me at the post office has strip cartridges, so you don't have to carry them separately, and the lancer is either built into the side of the machine, or it attaches securely, so it is essentially a one piece contration. It's a theory...
Well, so much for not writing long posts....
Good Night Again.

No comments: