Thursday, June 21, 2007

I am sitting here in Paris. It's not terribly late in the morning, but I wanted to be out later. I need to leave here in the middle of the night in order to make my flight and I don't trust myself to wake up if I were to sleep. I'll use this hour to play on the internet and then maybe I'll wander the nearby area of my hostel for a while and enjoy some paris night life.
I had two whole days in Paris and I managed to do most of the really touristy stuff - but I left the Eiffel Tower until the second day. Other things on the list are: the Louvre, Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris, Centre Pompidou, Arc de Triomphe, Champs de l'Elysses, Statue de la Liberte, Radio France, Pont Neuf, and my hostel is minutes from le Sacre-Coeur, but I never made it to the actual church although I did go there at night to hang out and watch the Eiffel Tower from afar.
The trip has been good. I was expecting that I was going to fall in love with Paris the moment I got here - I did not. I've definately warmed up to it, but I think at this point I prefer Berlin. I've spent a great deal of my time with 2 fun Quebequois. I can't undertand what they say. I am not fluent in French by any means. But, talking to Parisians has been much easier than the Quebekkers. Regardless, it's been good company over the last couple days.
I was in a very bad mood this morning. I received two emails that changed the situation of next year. One of them is just that - a change; my roommate got a great offer so she's going with that - no problem. The other was the university telling me that they made a mistake and they're only offering half the money they said they would. That is NOT GOOD. That puts me in a bad situation and makes me feel shitty about having spent as much money as I have... actually any money on travelling this summer. But those are surface thoughts..... I am very happy that I came here, I just get easily sidetracked by finances. Anyway, when I get to Berlin I will talk with Kyle and Kim and then decide if I should email or wait til I'm home in Winnipeg to call them and explain how unhappy and insecure that email makes me -
and I don't know how bitchy I should be... I mean, my decision to go there was completely based on money. If the money was equal (like it currently seems they want it to be), I might certainly have made a different decision. Now I don't have the liberty of making a decision - it's made and it's too late to change it or do anything about it.
I don't want to change it or anything like that - I just want things to be just like they were before they sent me that damned email.
Anyway, Eiffel Tower today was amazing. I will not bother bitching about the nearly 2 hours of waiting in line involved in this experience..... It was a spectacular view of a gorgeous city. I am glad I left it to the end as I recognized the places I was seeing in context. It helped to bring together the experiences I had!
Oh, I also heard a free concert of the Radio France Orchestra playing Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique!!!!!!!!!! c'etait ca!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are having an amazing time!! That is just awful about the email, but you always find away and follow your heart no matter what, so I know you will do great. I am sorry :(
Maybe its all for some greater reason, like there is something amazing waiting for you in London that you would never have experienced had they not made the mistake and you had gone to Alberta.
Maybe theres a girl there and you are going to have little babies that I can make fat!!!

Michael Park said...

Damnit People, someone get this girl some babies!