Wednesday, June 13, 2007

So, yesterday was different than I had planned. When I talked to my friend Anna, we changed the date to Friday, so that's when I will go to Potsdam. Yesterday I did a little shopping earlier on and then I walked down Unter den Linden street. It's a beautiful and history filled street. That's the area with a bunch of National embassies and old Churches, Humboldt university.... I was really touristy, snapping lots of pictures, and I even bought a souvenir.
I tried to stop for lunch, in as much as I sat down at a restaurant table on a patio and waited for about 10 minutes. The waiters had come out and seend me, but noone came to offer me anything, not even a menu. I ended up leaving after having read of some suggestions from a travel book about other things to do and see on that street. The Berliner Dom is a huge old church that was absolutely beautiful. I took pictures of the outside from afar and all around. I got to a part of the church that I couldn't walk around, there was a ribbon. So I checked to see if the scary looking door was opened - it was! I walked inside and tried some other doors, but they were all locked. Nevertheless, it was beautiful with old staircases and fixtures. I decided not to wander up or down the staircases because there were ropes across them.... funny isn't it that I will respect a ribbon or rope, but not a closed door.
I met up with Kyle and we went to key cutter to get an extra set of his appartment keys cut, then to a harware store then home to fix his bed which was broken in some sort of wild party before I got here... The evening was non-Berlinier at all. We made pasta for dinner and watched Beerfest, while drinking beerfest. Just because this trip wasn't linguistically confusing enough, I had to review my Esperanto last night. I remembered that there were several Esperanto associations in Berlin, and when I looked them up, I realized that one of them is just around the corner... literally less than 2 blocks from where I am currently typing. My plan for today is just to stop by there and say hello and let them know that there are at least a few canadians who are interested in the language.
After that, I don't know what I shall do - I'm not a big museum person, and we're going to one tomorrow evening - apparently a bunch of them are free on thursday evenings.
Big excitement, I've been trying to see how going to Leipzig would fit into my schedule. Kyle has agreed to come with me on Sunday, and we're going to go to a church service at St Thomas Leipzig - although it will be at 9:30 am, and it's an hour and a bit to get there.... but I'm sure it will be worth it! The other option if we don't want to go early.... they're doing the Mass in B-minor at 5pm that evening..... I can't think of a more amazing thing than hearing one of Bach's greatest works sung in the church he himself worked at! I will have to get Kyle to call and check on tickets and whatnot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

everything sounds so amazing! I would love to see pictures when you get back, what an experience! I hope you continue to have fun!