Thursday, June 28, 2007

Today was a fairly good day for organization:
One of the first things I did was throw out a bunch of papers that were cluttering my bedroom, there were also some books that I put on a bookshelf. I also cleaned out 2 drawers of my dresser.... it hasn't housed clothes in a very long time, mostly old papers that I don't need anymore.
This evening I was working a bit on tidying up my Baking with Momma score. I want to enter a competition, but it requires a keyboard reduction for a cappella works. 8 Voices of independant nature do not lend themselves well to a keyboard reduction. As a result the reduction is scary and I certainly wouldn't want to play it, but I suppose it's still better than not having it and making the pianist read 8 staves at a time.... I did that, not fun. The other thing is that I need to print it on 8*14 paper, otherwise it would be a billion pages, twice as many as the original version. I bought the paper, but printer settings both in the program and in the control panel have been giving me troubles. For the competition, it has to be postmarked by the 30'th, ie 2 days from now - I have tomorrow to tidy up the arrangement and then whip up an impressive CV. But, tomorrow I have a meeting/rehearsal for Hair and then in the evening I'm going to a dance show. On the bright side, no ballet on Saturday because it's done!!! which means I have the morning and early afternoon to get all of it ready and then send it off.
This evening I went to the store to buy the Legal sized paper, and I stumbled upon the accordion folder section. I had been meaning for a long time to get one of these to organize my ballet music. Today was the day I would buy one..... So many choices. Did I want 5, 7 or 13 or 14 sections!? how did I want it to close/stay closed? how much was I willing to spend? I seriously wandered up and down that aisle, comparing every option for at least 15 minutes. It was agonizing! In the end, I got one with 7 sections....there is a rope that keeps it closed, but I'm not sure how... I think it's faulty. without overly stretching the rope, it keeps it from flopping open, but it doesn't hold the contents from spilling out - not that it would happen easily, but still. If I try different ways for the rope to cross the top, then it pulls too tight and buckles inwards. This is the problem with me picking things out... I know what I want (whether I can voice those specifics or not) and I see the fatal flaws in all the products that do not specifically meet that expectation. I never find the perfect thing, so I get stressed out in the purchasing process about how much that flaw is going to interfere with the function I wish the product to perform.
While I was putting the music in, I realized I needed a reasonable way or organizing the music. I made a list and came up with 8 types of ballet music, in very general categories.... I needed an extra slot, but oh well. I should have gotten one with 13 sections, and then I could have further specified the musical classifications.
I would say that I can't believe I've rambled for this long about such a lame topic, but I can easily believe it.
In other news, I called today and there is still room int he adult classes for dance starting next week, so I'm signing up! I'll be dancing for a few hours mon-thurs for the next 2 weeks. I wish I could do it for the whole month, but rehearsals won't allow for it. I will be taking beginner classes in Ballet and Jazz, also open classes in Musical Theatre and Modern. I get a 90% staff discount and the teachers have told me that it will be super fun. With that, how could I not do it?!?

No comments: