Saturday, June 02, 2007

What a good way to retire from the RWB, well almost.
Today was the last day of classes for the ballet school, at least the last day for me during the regular season. The teacher worked the morning class hard right up to the end. At the end of the class, I announced to them that I was moving, to which they expressed sadness, but they wished me well. I gave them a mildly inspiring speech about always being artists when they dance and allowing the music to be an important part of that process.
I had thought of making a similar speech to the other classes, but those students are much younger and I only played for them the one year, so we didn't really have the same attachment as with students that I've played for at other times during my past 4 years.
For the youngest class, we did eurythmics, which was a refreshing change from ballet. For the older group later that day, they love to do improv, but it's always been vague and kind of random, so I led them on a responsive improvisation - I had them start with a partner and had them relate all of their movements to that partner, then I had them spread apart from that partner, but still have that sense of communication across the room. When I had them switch into free improv, they had a much stronger sense of communication and awareness of their surroundings.

Anyway, I was up way too late last night and up too early, so when I got home from work, I ended up napping before supper... which turned into me not waking up until 10:30. So I just at supper at 11pm and now I don't think there's anything to do tonight. LAME!
I suppose I have lots of cleaning and packing to be done in preparation for both my trip to Germany and my moving away in the fall.

No comments: