Friday, June 15, 2007

Potsdam was fun. I was totally disoriented when I got there and I started walking in the wrong direction, then I took the bus to a different starting place, but I never quite got my bearings. Basically I only walked around one park which housed at least 2 palaces and large open grassy areas and beautiful gardens. It was amazing, even in Canada, I rarely see such large expanses of greens, and even when you do, it's not done with such class. I took about sixty pictures today, mostly just of the overwhelming beauty.
The only downside was that I was having some lower blood sugars during my walking, so that added to my map-related disorientation. Luckily I'm always prepared - well not luckily, because I just have to be. Anyway, trying to keep my sugars in line has been difficult. I'm trying new delicious foods and none of them have the carbohydrates written on them and even when packaged stuff does, I can't relate things to 100g portions. Long story short, my sugars have been on the lower side more than I'd be fully comfortable BUT by walking for hours each day and eating healthy on this trip, I have kept my sugars under better control AND lowered the amount of insulin I've been needing.
It was good to see my friend Anna this evening, although we were both fairly indecisive. We walked around the town a bit and had a nice dinner at some italian wine bistro, although she doesn't drink so we just had bubbly water. Anyway, she told me about this Kino (movie theatre) where a few days hence she had watched Cyrano de Bergerac en francais with German subtitles. The catch was that there had to be at least 5 people there or else they woulnd't show the film..... I thought it was delightful and she said that they would be playing another french movie tonight. We went, but the movie was originally french - but dubbed in Deutsche with German subtitles when the songs were sung in French. Yuck. The movie wasn't all that great on it's own, and then add to that the fact that I didn't understand it... it was not the best choice for the evenings events. Nevertheless, Potsdam was beautiful and it was great to visit a friend who I live across the globe from.
In other news, it is thunderstorming right now and the thunder is amazing - loud and crisp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in an appartment and there's concrete around the building, or if it's just that way in Germany, but I love it! I haven't felt so envigourated by the thunder since I was a little whipper-snapper!
Anyway, I don't know what's up for the weekend. Leipzig has been moved to next Sunday, I think... but in comparison to the Mass in B minor, the concert there is rather uninteresting... I don't even think it is Bach's music. I'll see if we can work something out....

No comments: