Monday, June 25, 2007

Ok, so I'm at an internet cafe (sans cafe) in the London airport. The long and short of it is that the flight was supposed to be this afternoon, but they delayed it until tomorrow morning at 9:15 therefore I got free lunch today and free supper as well as a night in the London Airport Hilton. I'm not in a huge rush to get home, so I don't mind. except for the lines...
nevertheless, it gives me time to write about my last few days in Berlin. 35 minutes to be exact.

Saturday, this was my last day to really do anything in the city. I started by going to the Memorial for the Jews killed in the Holocaust, I had already been to the memorial part above ground, this time I went to the information centre underneath. It was powerful and moving. It was filled with information and perspective about the holocaust. I have to say it was fairly emotionally draining to read the letters and history of what happened. I forced myself to read everything they had on the displays. The exit from the info centre went into the field of concrete slabs, but rather than having a moving experience that might relate the meaning of it to me....
There was loud music blaring and people all over the place. It appeared to be a parade - the song playing was that one ''I saw your girlfriend who looked like your boyfriend'' one. That's right... it was a huge gay/lesbian pride parade going on in the middle of Berlin. I walked towards Potsdammer Platz and it was even busier there. I didn't really have any other plans for the day, so I walked along the parade to see what was going on. I walked beside the parade and at some points in it to get to the end of the line where there was a band playing - terribly; it was shit.
Then I was tired and went home.
Kim and I went to that restaurant like I had said earlier and then went for drinks.
yesterday Kyle and I went to Leipzig - a classical musician's dream place. I went to church with Bach in the morning, then we went to the Bach Museum. unfortunately all the manuscripts and things were not there, but it was interesting I suppose. We also went to the Schumann museum which housed those Davidsabend concerts that we read about in history classes. There was also a Mendelssohn museum, at which we went to a string quartet recital. It was very good. I loved the passion and musicality of the players. It was very different than some of the chamber music I've heard in the past and I think I rather liked it.
For dinner I wanted Schnitzel, after trying a few places that didn't look reasonable in terms of menu or price, someone suggested a schnitzel factory..... it was wonderful, it had over 50 types of schnitzel. I had one with Hollondaise and peppers, mmm!
Last night was fairly low-key, but Kyle Kim and I ended up staying up far too late anyway and only got a few hours of sleep.... it would be perfect to have gotten on that plane- i would have just slept all the way and then I'd be ready to go for tuesday. Instead I will be flying all day tomorrow and then the extra 7 horus of the day will drain me more adn then I will be tired on Wednesday too. maybe.
I guess I should email my parents in case I don't get to call them tonight. Still 10 more minutes, but I'm not going to spend another 10 minutes blogging.
Although...
The music is driving me insane... across the hall is a gaming lounge and the games play the tackiest shit music ever! I've also been hearing the same two announcements all day since I've been here. ''Passengers are only allowed one piece of handluggage on board. Please be informed that a ladies hand bag does count as a piece of handluggage.''
Anyway, I rather dislike airports, so I won't stick around here much longer. and I'm too cheap to spend another 25 Euro to go into the city, cause the airport is of course out of the city. I'm planning on getting into my hotel room and taking a nice long shower and then going for dinner. I'll chit chat around and see if any of the other fellow Zoom people are planning to be social. if not, then I will just watch British television all night and get to sleep early.
Take care everyone, hopefully there won't be anything else standing in the way of my travels. I will next blog from home.

1 comment:

JKLJKLJ said...

Sorry you have to wait mike, but hey! You get to wait! You don't have to rush across London! Why not spend the money and see the town?! A free night in a hotel... okay maybe I'm not one of those classy people for whom such a thing is not big deal! Enjoy jolly old London!