Monday, March 19, 2007

I had been in a pretty bad mind-set to start practicing last night. I was working on the technical elements of my piece, but in a bitter way.
Long story short, I ended up talking for a while with one of my practice buddies who wanted to hear me play my Beethoven. She listened to it and aside from circling a few problem areas, she told me that it was really good and that if we hadn't talked beforehand, she would never have had any idea that I was struggling with the interpretation. Basically, she made me feel really good about how I played - something I haven't felt a lot of in preparation for this recital.
Now my new method of practicing involves securing the tricky bits, but also actively thinking and applying my interpretation of the piece while I play it. I want my relation to the interpretation to be that close, and blatant in the recital, but thinking while playing isn't something I can just do once in the recital; I have to prepare myself to do it successfully.
Anyway, one of the morals of that story is that my Beethoven went really well last night. I have now played all of my pieces for other people, and the response has been that I am recital ready. Now it's just repetition so that I get even more comfortable with everything, as well as tidying and securing the memory even more.

I know my readers must be getting sick of the excessive talk about practice and recital, and so am I. I promise that once I am done with this recital, I will have some fresh perspectives on blogging and some crazy, zany topics that I'm sure everyone has been missing. Maybe even some more ranting... gosh it's been a while since I was able to devote time to ranting...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss your ranting too, Mork. You aren't even spiteful anymore!! Wow, you have been practicing hard if there's no room for spite in your life!!!
Crazy zany antics soon. After the marvolous recital. I have some ideas. Practice hard!

Michael Park said...

actually I have been fairly spiteful lately, but I have learned my lesson about ranting about spite driven things on here, so you'll have to hear those spiteful bitchings in person.