Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Poopy

Some thoughts about Diabetic Retinopathy, taken from a site on complications of diabetes:
It usually takes between 10-13 years for diabetic retinopathy to develop and it is present in some degree in most diabetics who have had the disease for 20 years.
I have been diabetic for almost 17 years now, and today's eye appointment revealed that I have early signs of this complication. He assured me that it is nothing to lose sleep over, it just means that I should tighten up my control.
Finally, I'm seeing the results of living the last 17 years under less than good control of my diabetes. A reminder of the reality of my medical situation. Anyway, I am going to make some serious changes to the way I care for my diabetes, and those changes have already started. I have an appointment with my Endocrinologist in May, so that will give me direct feedback on how beneficial these changes have been for my control.

No comments: