Thursday, March 01, 2007

I came home, I checked the mail... and there it was
U of Alberta letter... I knew it would be their decision-good or bad.
I got nervous, not wanting to open it.
It took me a while.
I went over my thoughts. UBC and McGill were my top two schools; not happy about being rejected, but U of Alberta was within the realm of possibility. A rejection from them would be a blow to the system that would make me rethink my plans for the future. In my head, I ranked U of A as fourth choice of 5... U of M being the one I really didn't want to be stuck at.... so if I got a rejection, it would basically mean, I was most likely stuck here.
I opened the letter.
My heart sunk as I read the same opening sentence as in the previous letters: "Thank you for your application ..." as I read on about the assessment panel, I looked away as I wasn't prepared to read the next line about my qualifications.

But as my eyes had moved, they passed over words like funding-packages and April.... words that gave me reason enough to pull the letter back up to my eyes.
As I continued from where I left off, I was pleased to read that they were pleased to reccommend me to the faculty of graduate studies program. I guess what this means is that if everything checks out on my paperwork, which it will, I have been accepted and I just need to wait for the official acceptance notice.

The moral of the story is:
I have somewhere to go next year. I have direction in my life. I am not stuck in the same city I have grown up in. I am happy about the present state of things and I am excited about the future.
I'm mostly happy that knowing I'm accepted somewhere, I can stop worrying, whatever news comes in the next envelope can only make things better.

Now, I go to accompany dance and then practice my ass off.
Lesson wasn't great nor terrible. He was happy enough with my Liszt, so it's just a matter of memorizing that one. The Bach, he's concerned about security of memory and stuff, but I'll keep at that.
Beethoven we didn't touch, and that's my biggest worry, so I'm gonna keep working at that one!
I'm just worried that if I play things slowly... it will eat up too much time of my recital and I want t make sure there is enough time for the dance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!

So, SO, SOOOOOO happy for you.
*Does honorary dance for mikey j*

Mai said...

Hey Michael! it's Mai. I just found link to your site on Jon's computer. Congratulation!!!!! It's so great to know that you are doing so well!