Saturday, April 28, 2007

Last night, I unwittingly-ish did something that has been on my list of things to do in life for a while, but I'd never had the guts to actually do it.
I think it brings a certain portion of my life to a nice close, leaving me ready to move to a new city!

I went to the opera last night. I've tried over the last 4 years to really love and embrace opera... and I even made some developments in my respect for the genre. Last night, I actually followed the story line for the entire (breath)3 hours and 14 minutes. I paid close attention to the musical elements that Verdi used in the opera and I enjoyed the experience of unlocking the memories I had of Shakespeare's Othello that I had read in high school... probably 7 years ago now!
I enjoyed the general experience, but not the actual experience. I think it just comes down to the fact that opera is an expensive genre and Winnipeg just doesn't have the funds for it. I think I will be excited in the future to watch opera in some of the bigger artistic centers where they have the performers and funding to put on spectacularly elaborate productions.

In other news, I have a roommate in London. 2 fun loving musicians will be living together, both as grad students. As I expressed concerns about my ability to shift to a lower-spending lifestyle, she said she is going to help me adjust to the ghetto-life! So far, everything is looking good!

No comments: