Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All seems to be going well right now.
I did super well on my jury and I'm starting to make progress on the choral piece-ish.
I took my grandfather and great aunt for lunch today, it was nice to spend some time with them.
I got offered and accepted a TA-ing position for the second part of the 20'th Century Music course. That is wonderful A) it means a little extra money in the pocket and
2) I can now write that I will have some acdemic teaching/marking experience ... something that would have been better if I had it for grad school applications, but oh well.

Something I have been looking into lately is real-time or Continuous Glucose Monitoring. They have systems out that can test your blood for you over 200 hundred times a day and give you an amazing view of how your sugars react throughout the day. The problem is that this technology is extremely expensive. At present I am looking into seeing if I can get a trial use of the machine or something like that...
Gah, it's so frustrating for there to be technology available that I can't use, even though I know that it could greatly benefit my control.....
BUT, I bite my tongue... I have been doing a fair bit of reading lately on the state of diabetes globally. In developing countries, life expectancy with diabetes can be as little as 1 year, because the insulin and testing supplies are not even available in the most primative forms. This fills me with guilt for being in a have position in life, but in the positive, the most logical way of thinking of it is that, it is my duty and responsability to take the best care of mysef possible simply because great resources are available to me.
I need to head to my house tonight so that I can have a blank cheque ready to give to the school for this TA position. Who knows what trouble I will get into in St James...

No comments: